Photo Access with Ken McCoy

Photographic training,photo requests,insight,class agendas, multimedia transmissions from the field, wireless technology. For teens and adults with digital point and shoot, 35mm,digital slr and camera smartphones. This info is provided by internationally syndicated photojournalist Ken McCoy.Find out about agencies such as AP, UPI, World Picture News,World Entertainment News Network,PRPHOTOS, and Getty. KEEP UP WITH PHOTO EVENTS VIA PHOTO ACCESS WITH KEN MCCOY @kenmccoypress(twitter) !!!!

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Fw: Three Friends


From: PAUL CALKINS <bella.art@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 19:13:23 -0700 (PDT)
To: Ken McCoy<xipnek@aol.com>
Subject: Three Friends

Copyright 2008 Paul Calkins

Three Friends

F stop 11 Exposure 1/125 second ISO 400

Kodak 120 Tmax

 

Ken,

Another exciting week, still working on the class!  By the end of the week will be in Los Angles, will see new adventures that brings.


PC


Photographic Thoughts

Volume II

 

June 17, 2013

 

Three Friends

 

By Paul Calkins © 2013

Bellaartandphoto.com

 

 I noted on this June day that I could almost make out the Sierra Nevada to the east and the coast range to the west as I traveled down Old Highway 99.  I thought to myself, not bad for June.  The normal smog based haze had seemed to give a pause from its normal state.  I was out taking a few stock photographs on one of my many projects, in this case bracketing.  In photography, bracketing is the general technique of taking several shots of the same subject using different camera settings.  I looked at the distant haze; it brought me back to the reality that I might be looking at a large wild land fire.  I looked again, but it did not have those characteristics.  That look brought me back to a meeting in the late 1990's dealing with the environmental and emergency response. This was a very serious topic to be sure.  Environmental issues now started appearing on my response checklist.  It was during one of these meetings I was startled to see "silver-only" hazardous wastes are to be regulated…If you were a photographer, this would impact you.   

It was also at this time, that I became aware of the first digital camera's coming onto the market.  We constantly had to deal getting accurate damage assessments to headquarters.  The new digital camera looked like it would fill a timely need.  I forwarded up a request for such an instrument to management.  There was absolutely no response.  I reasoned that such a request was just too novel for the state purchasing bureaucracy.  When I did get a reply, it was of the nature "get a regular camera."  That was it. 

What I did not count on was that in California, environmental regulators would be sending me a digital camera soon enough.  The regulators, through actions against the chemicals used in photography would hasten the development and marketing of digital cameras.  By 2005 I would have my first professional digital camera, and the state would soon be supplying us with refurbished Kodak digitals.  I leave you this week with a black and white photograph of three friends meeting at the fountain in front of the City Hall in downtown Fresno, California.  This shot is one of the few, as time goes on, to result from processed film.

I hope all the dads out there, especially those serving our country, have a happy and peaceful Fathers Day. 

 

Thanks for listening.