Photo Access with Ken McCoy

Photographic training,photo requests,insight,class agendas, multimedia transmissions from the field, wireless technology. For teens and adults with digital point and shoot, 35mm,digital slr and camera smartphones. This info is provided by internationally syndicated photojournalist Ken McCoy.Find out about agencies such as AP, UPI, World Picture News,World Entertainment News Network,PRPHOTOS, and Getty. KEEP UP WITH PHOTO EVENTS VIA PHOTO ACCESS WITH KEN MCCOY @kenmccoypress(twitter) !!!!

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Fw: Composition


From: PAUL CALKINS <bella.art@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 21:30:59 -0700 (PDT)
To: Ken McCoy<xipnek@aol.com>
ReplyTo: PAUL CALKINS <bella.art@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Composition

Copyright 2011 Paul Calkins
Yosemite in March
F-stop 8 Exposure 1/1000 second ISO 400
Ken,
Hope all is well with you.  I had the privilege of meeting the teacher that owned that classroom that I will teach in.  She had some great pointers on the room, lights, and AV equipment.   I currently have five students, and hoping for more.  Still recovering from the surgery.  

Take care

PC


Photographic Thoughts
Volume II
 
August 26, 2013
 
Composition
 
By Paul Calkins © 2013
Bellaartandphoto.com
 
 
Composition brings it all to together with Points of view, Rule of Thirds, Leading Lines (Positive and Negative Space,) Sense of Scale, Patterns. Texture, Close ups, and layering.  There is a lot to consider in composition.  It is sometimes hard to do, especially in the moment that you are trying to take the photograph.   The classic photographers, such as Alfred Stieglitz, Edward Weston, and Henri Cartier- Bresson were able to bring all the parts of composition together as a matter of everyday practice.  It was during one of the those times that I was working on a project to get an idea of how much water was in the high country that I was able to get a grand view of the High Sierra.  Of course my bulk was confined to a space that was approximately the size of half a 1963 VW bug.  In addition I had to take the shot, over the pilots shoulder. The vibration of the engine the centrifugal force of the plane caused me to keep a tight grip on the camera.   I was thinking of a lot of things, as I contorted to get the photograph.   I was struck by the beauty of the scene.  I was at that moment a tourist.  Luckily the pilot focused my attention on the work at hand.  Familiar patterns of geography came into view, the texture of trees, snow, the outline of Half Dome, El Capitan, and the Merced River Canyon, revealed themselves.  There I was up above the hawks, robins and chickadees, looking down on one of the most famous creations of nature.   If you get the chance to have a photographic experience from above, grab the opportunity with both hands!  I would like to thank Dan Gudgel for letting me slip my normal earth bound existence and create some great Photographic Thoughts.
 
 
 
Thanks for listening.